Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Returning to where I started...

With friends and family at opposite end of the world, I decided to start a blog to keep in touch.

I've lived in
Canberra now for almost a year and have started preparing to return to the USA in November. I tried to make the change and come back to Australia after nearly 40 years away - I made a few mistakes but learned a whole lot along the way.

  • You can go home again but you just have to work out where it is.
  • Stuff is worse than handcuffs
  • There is nothing better than watching a mob of galahs at breakfast

I arrived in Australia looking for the future in the past and found a bunch of new friends who helped me laugh while I gathered the pieces of myself and put the puzzle of who I am back together. I seem to have turned out a little differently than I remembered. I have found it rather difficult dealing with the time differences for making phone calls but rather surprising to me was that in the midst of all the wonder and beauty of the Canberra countryside, while watching the unbelievable sky, listening to the wild chatter of the feathered inhabitants of my neighbourhood I decided to go back to the States. It is a mystery. Maybe I just want to flit from US to Greece to Australia for the rest of my life. Now that would be trip worth living for.

2 comments:

AMCSviatko said...

Cute photos :-)

JustJess said...

Yay! The beauty of a blog, is that you are wherever you want to be, and it can be read from anywhere. Glad to see you have taken the step and I look forward to reading you often! x